Game Updates are regularly released for The Sims 3 and its expansion packs and stuff packs which bring bug fixes, improvements, and sometimes even new features! Below you find information on the latest game update including what was changed, and instructions on how to install and download the game update.
Current Game Update
Release Date: January 24, 2014
You can find your current game version by launching The Sims 3 Launcher and hovering over The Sims 3 icon in the lower left corner. When you hover, a tooltip will display showing you the version information.
Checking For Updates
To download Game Updates for The Sims 3, launch The Sims 3 Launcher for your current game and select the Game Updates tab to check and see if there are new game updates or to begin downloading any new updates. You can also download the latest game update below.
Downloading Updates Manually
Below are The Sims 3 Updates for manual patching that can be downloaded. There are two things you should know. First, regions are important as if you do not have the correct regional update, the game will not update. Second, there are two versions of the updates offered below, for Windows and Mac OS.
These game updates are the official updates provided by Electronic Arts. If you need support or have problems after updating your game, please visit EA Help.
For Windows, the Full Update will update the game regardless of what region you’re located in. For Mac OS, the Full Update still requires you to know your region and does not work like the Full Update for Windows.
Game Update Changes
Changes in Update 1.67 – January 24, 2014
Base Game Fixes
- Updated server messaging
Changes in Update 1.66 – January 14, 2014
Into the Future Fixes
- Fixed the Laser Rhythm-a-con VFX when on a houseboat
- Corrected a mannequin outfit issue when cloning the clothing pedestal
- Fixed an issue with Plumbot Trait Chips not appearing in the Adjust Trait Chip menu
- Future Sim reactions to SimBots are now more appropriate
- Ghosts no longer appear in the Time Almanac
- Fixed an issue that prevented completion of The Silicon Slinger opportunity
- Descendants names will now update correctly after changing name at City Hall
- Fixed an issue that could cause a teen to be trapped in a child’s body when travelling to the future at the exact moment of a birthday
- Fixed some consistency issues associated with Legacy Statue achievements
- Fixed an issue with the Bot Career not progressing correctly
- Fixed an issue with the Quantum Power Suits not working after reloading a saved game
- Fixed an issue that could cause the Time Traveler to catch on fire and not be able to be put out
- Fixed several graphical errors on the game screen that could occur when changing the resolution
The Sims 3 Store Content Fixes
- Fixed issues that occurred with having the Tree of Prosperity installed with Into the Future
- Fixed issue with Baby Walker and Playpen that could cause toddler problems
Game Update Install Instructions
Step 1: Disable Custom Content
Custom Content is all Sims content that did not come from an official The Sims 3 Update, The Sims 3 Store, Expansion Pack, or Stuff Pack. Custom Content is created by 3rd Party Developers that are not regulated by Electronic Arts or The Sims 3 Development Team and may not work with new updates. Custom Content may cause the game to behave unexpectedly or not function entirely.
To disable your custom content, undo whatever you did to install this content to get your game back into an unmodified state. If you placed it in a Sims 3 directory folder, move it to a new folder that is outside your Sims 3 file directory. Your Sims 3 file directory can be found using the paths listed below:
Windows File Directory: C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
Mac File Directory: User\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims
Once you have installed the official update you may re-enable your custom content. If you experience problems, disable it again until the 3rd party developer updates their content to work with the official Update, Expansion Pack, or Stuff Pack.
Step 2: Back Up your Save Files
It’s always a good precaution to back up your save files before installing an Expansion Pack, Update, or Stuff Pack. To do this, copy the “.sims3” folders found in the Saves folder onto your desktop or another file directory. Your Sims 3 Saves folder can be found using the paths listed below:
Windows File Directory: C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves
Mac File Directory: User\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims\Saves
After the Update is installed, run the game to verify your saves still function correctly.
Step 3: Let the Update Complete Entirely
Updates can sometimes be rather large and may take a while to download and install completely. Cancelling the update before it has completed may cause unexpected problems, so it is always best to let it finish entirely. Do not close the Launcher until you have confirmed the update is completely installed, as this will cancel the update.
Information credit: TheSims3.com. This information can also be found on The Sims 3 Official website. Information is © Copyright Electronic Arts. Simified does not own the information.